:: HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS ::
One Page (click on image to enlarge)
September 17, 1850… “SCHEDULE I -- Free Inhabitants in
the City of New Orleans…”
Recalled By: ???
Source: United States Census of 1850, microfilm, New
Orleans Public Library
SCHEDULE I -- Free Inhabitants in the City of New Orleans
in the County of Orleans State of Louisiana enumerated by me, on the 17th day of Sept 1850, Chauchon Ass’t Marshal.
The twelve columns at top of page:
1. Dwelling-houses (numbered in the order of visitation).
2. Families (numbered in the order of visitation).
3. The name of every person whose normal place of abode to the first day of June, 1850, was in this family.
6. Color: White, black, or mulatto
7. Profession, Occupation, or Trade of each Male Person over 15 years of age.
8. Value of Real Estate ___ .
9. Place of Birth, Naming the State, Territory, or Country.
10. Married within the year.
11. Attended School within the year.
12. (?) over (?) of age who cannot read & write.
13. Whether deaf and dumb, blind, insane, idiot, pauper, convict.
Line Number 33
Column 1: 1726
Column 2: 2420
Column 3: Jean Montenet
Column 4: 34
Column 5: m
Column 6: B
Column 7: coffeehouse
Column 8: 4080 ? in the thousands
Column 9: Africa
Line Number 34
Column 1: …same as Jean Montenet
Column 2: …same as Jean Montenet
Column 3: Philippe
Column 4: 3
Column 5: m
Column 6: B
Column 9: Louisa
Records only the “Profession, Occupation, or Trade of each Male Person.” Females not recorded. This is the milieu in which Marie Laveau worked and lived.
Columns 11 and 12 emphasize literacy. Dr. John worked on
writing his name ( A New Orleans Voudou Priestess, Carolyn
Morrow Long, University Press of Florida, p. 145).
Philippe is a son.
In this period, “coffeehouse” could be a euphemism for
The present Dr. John (John “Mac” Rebennack, Jr) said, “I
actually got a clipping from the Times Picayune newspaper about how my great-great-great-grandpa Wayne was busted with this guy for runnin’ a voodoo operation in a whorehouse in 1860. (Wiccapedia) ” The date of this document is 1850, this is an interesting collaboration of the Present Dr. John’s account.
Dr. John was well to do in the dollars of that period.
To download a zip file with a hi-res jpeg file click here.